You should live here if you enjoy the finer, well-tailored things in life. You want to live near downtown, but in a fabulous older home with a manicured lawn. You can appreciate the bohemian vibe of Austin but lean more towards the sophisticated and cultured events/restaurants/gallery openings/etc.
Pemberton Heights is where Austin’s upper crust lives in stately homes, including old money families, state-level politicians and high-powered lawyers. I love driving through this neighborhood like a slack-jawed yokel, checkin’ out the purty mansions. Clarksville, Enfield, and Rosedale have smaller homes from the 1920s-50s that have a lot of charm. Bryker Woods and Tarrytown have a mixture of smaller homes and larger ones, some of the McMansion variety.
- Major neighborhood names:
Pemberton Heights, Tarrytown, Clarksville, Enfield, Bryker Woods, Rosedale
- ZIP codes to use in MLS searches:
78703, 78705, 78756, 78731
- 2016 median listing price: $699k
- 2016 price per sq ft: $281
- Rental Prices: Upper range of market
View homes on the market
See listings for Central Austin on Austin Home Match.
Explore the neighborhood
See it on a map
See nearby schools
$250k and under
- South Austin (South of Hwy 71)
- Central Austin (Along Lamar & Burnet Rd)
- North Austin Suburbs (Round Rock, Pflugerville, Cedar Park)
- East Austin
$500k and up
- Central Austin (Hyde Park)
- Central Austin (around MOPAC)
- South Austin (78704)
- Parts of South Austin (Circle C)
- West Austin Suburbs
PLEASE NOTE: This is a general breakdown of Austin neighborhoods by price range and neighborhood. Exceptions to be found everywhere! I’ve heavily sprinkled in my opinions about areas and admit my Central Austin bias.
REALTORS: Don’t plagiarize Move to Austin. Write your own stuff.