You should live here if you like larger floor plans and you want to live in the best school district. You also want to feel a bit like you’re living in the country, though Westlake is pretty close to downtown. You or someone close to you likes to play golf. You like living near hills and the lake.
Many people like to retire in this area and enjoy lake living. Westlake Hills starts at Mopac (1) and snakes along Beecaves Road out to Lake Travis. The schools here consistently rank among the top in the country. You can find some smaller bungalows here (especially in Rollingwood) but they’ve mostly been updated to larger homes. Prices are at a premium, especially the closer you are to Lake Austin.
Steiner Ranch is a large planned community by Lake Travis and has homes from the late 90s to brand new homes. This area is a little more north of Westlake and a bit closer to the big employers like 3m, IBM and Dell. Homes are a bit more affordable here.
Northwest Hills is just off of Mopac (1) and north of 2222. This area is relatively close in to town and has split-level homes from the 60s and 70s.
Lakeway is closer to Lake Travis, further away from Austin, and has new master-planned communities.
- Major neighborhood names:
Northwest Hills, West Lake Hills, Rollingwood, Lost Creek, Lakeway, Steiner Ranch
- ZIP code to use in MLS searches: 78746, 78733, 78731, 78759, 78750, 78730, 78732, 78734
- 2016 median listing price: $1.3m (Westlake Hills), $539k (Steiner Ranch), $476k (Lakeway)
- 2016 price per sq ft: $332 (Westlake Hills), $153 (Steiner Ranch), $149 (Lakeway)
- Rental Prices: Mid to upper range of market
View homes on the market
Explore the neighborhood
See it on a map
See area schools
$250k and under
- South Austin (South of Hwy 71)
- Central Austin (Along Lamar & Burnet Rd)
- North Austin Suburbs (Round Rock, Pflugerville, Cedar Park)
- East Austin
$500k and up
- Central Austin (Hyde Park)
- Central Austin (around MOPAC)
- South Austin (78704)
- Parts of South Austin (Circle C)
- West Austin Suburbs
PLEASE NOTE: This is a general breakdown of Austin neighborhoods by price range and neighborhood. Exceptions to be found everywhere! I’ve heavily sprinkled in my opinions about areas and admit my Central Austin bias.
REALTORS: Don’t plagiarize Move to Austin. Write your own stuff.