South of Ben White
You should live here if you like the idea of South Austin (the hipness, the bars, the shops, the restaurants). On the other hand, you may care less about all that, and just want a nice, quiet neighborhood. Above all you want something affordable to mid-range – lots of bang for your buck, and pretty close in to town.
Just south of Ben White (also known as 290 and 71), can be thought of as 78704-adjacent. It’s for people who want to live in South Austin but can’t afford 78704. It’s mainly neighborhoods of older 1960s and 70s homes, although moving south you’ll find 80’s and 90’s homes. It’s a hodgepodge, really and you can find quite a variety of prices and home sizes here.
- Major neighborhood names: Cherry Creek, Battle Bend, Tanglewood, Slaughter Creek
- ZIP codes to use in MLS searches: 78745, 78749, 78739, 78748
- 2021 median listing price: $400K
- 2021 price/sq ft: $297
- Rental Prices: Mid range of market
- Schools: Ranked 3-7 out of 10