You should live here if you want to find an affordable place to live.
I predict this will be Austin’s next booming area. They are already talking about putting in a large mixed used campus, and there are a few companies with campuses in this area. For now though, it’s a pretty overlooked spot in Austin.
Southeast Austin has a lot of rentals, so you’ll find a lot of UT students here. There are some homes, too, but it’s not what this area is known for. The closer you are to South Austin, the more expensive the homes are, but overall this area is affordable.
Check out some of the new subdivisions on the way east part of town – near the airport – if you are looking for the most affordable. The public schools don’t score as high on state tests as other parts of the city – but– you’ll be super close to the legendary barbecue in Lockhart, TX. That should more than make up for it.
- Major neighborhood names: Riverside, Montopolis, Pleasant Valley, Onion Creek
- ZIP code to use in MLS searches: 78744, 78741
- 2021 median listing price: $349K
- 2021 price/sq ft: $272
- Rental Prices: Lower range of market
- Schools: Ranked 3-6 out of 10